During Q4 twice as many apps are downloaded than in a regular quarter. And most of the downloads occur in December. Last year, December was a record-breaking month for iOS app downloads with more than two billion downloads, undoubtedly fueled by holiday device sales.
With the influx of new device owners looking for apps to download onto their new devices, leading app developers are looking to Facebook to meet their volume and distribution goals. With 874 million monthly mobile users, Facebook offers a massive and tantalizing audience for app marketers. And beyond sheer reach, Facebook offers mobile app install ads, which appear front and center in people’s News Feed and provide a wealth of creative and targeting options. App developers have the opportunity to reach the people who matter with the right message at the right place and time.
Our data shows that after Christmas and into the new year is an attractive and cost-efficient time for app marketers to acquire new users. While costs for Facebook mobile ads climbed from November to December 2012, costs decreased 25% in January offering a more cost effective landscape for mobile app marketers. At the same time, engagement increased by 14%.
Rather than slowing down, savvy app marketers should increase mobile app marketing budgets as January is an attractive and cost effective time for app marketers to find and acquire new users. Now is the time to set up your campaigns to cater to all of the new device owners. Here are some tips to help you improve your strategy and amplify your Facebook app marketing as we head into the new year:
- Develop your ad creative now for the new year. People respond to unique visuals that are relevant and provide a clear call-to-action that entices them to act now.
- Consider including video in your ads to engage users and bring your app to life.
- Leverage OS targeting and WiFi targeting to increase conversions.
- Use Custom Audience targeting if you want to reach people who have already downloaded your app or find more users like your best customers with Lookalike audiences.
- Target by location, interests (similar apps) and connections.
- Set your bids high and then adjust them to meet your daily spend limit.
- Test, test and test some more. Try different images and themes.
- Track long-term Facebook engagements, installs, and revenue.
There’s no reason why not to take advantage of the best time of year to market your apps. With the millions of new smartphones and tablets that will be gifted this holiday season, Facebook provides a massive opportunity for marketers to acquire new customers. Get your mobile campaigns up and running now, and stay ahead of the curve by really focusing on your Facebook app marketing strategy in 2014.
Facebook® is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc.