Someone with the right balance of logic and creativity will be able to interpret and take action on reporting, constantly asking, “What if we tried…” and looking to the data for answers, achieving high ROI through logic and testing. It all boils down to this formula:
With executive buy-in paving the way, the key to in-house advertising success is assembling a great team—which could mean one skilled operator leveraging your advertising automation software, or several. Whether you’re looking for a jack of all trades or several people to divide tasks between strategy, optimization, user acquisition and retargeting, here are a few ways to identify a strong candidate and double-check that his or her skills match your needs.
1. Search LinkedIn for the following keywords and job titles:
Search and social
Paid Marketing Manager
Director of UA
Ad Operations Specialist
Director of Programmatic Ad Operations
Digital Media Coordinator
2. Share a job posting on digital or technically relevant websites:
3. Once you’ve identified promising candidates, here are some sample questions to ask:
- What is your educational background and experience with marketing data?
- Tell me about why you’re interested in customer acquisition and remarketing.
- What are the differences between CPC, CPM, and CPA?
- What advertising platform(s) are you familiar with?
- Do you have experience working with data scientists/graphic designers?
- What volume of ad spend you have handled in the past?
- What do you think the KPIs are for our business?
- If a campaign isn’t performing well, what metrics would you look at and what would you test?
- Tell me about a direct response campaign you’ve run and what the outcome was.
Not sure what to look for in your ad automaton software? Read Chapter 1 of our free eBook, Building a Foundation For In-House Advertising Success.