Trendin is an online retail store for Indian shoppers, featuring brand names like Allen Solly, Pantaloons, and People. Catering to every demographic and covering a wide array of price points from mass-market to luxury, the fashionwear and accessories site has become a go-to ecommerce destination.
What’s it like to work at “the largest online portal of any brick-and-mortar retailer in the country?” We asked Ankita Singh, Facebook Marketing Lead at Trendin to share her experience.
What is your role at Trendin, and what does a typical day look like there?
I’m the Facebook Marketing Lead; my role includes performance marketing and new customer acquisition through Facebook advertising.
My typical day starts with checking the previous day’s performance. I log into my Facebook accounts, Nanigans, internal sales report and Google Analytics, and go over our key metrics to see if there is anything out of the ordinary. If there is, I look deeper for any important insights that I can find. I also monitor our ongoing conversion optimization tests, check on performance and prepare for future tests. On a daily basis I review website KPIs like website traffic, conversion rate, order volume, and average order value.
Once the reports are ready, I have a quick morning huddle with the team, and go over our daily KPIs. We then have a cross-functional meeting with the product, merchandising and BI team to discuss the sales performance followed by an action plan for improving performance in the coming week.
On a daily basis I review website KPIs like website traffic, conversion rate, order volume, and average order value.
Sell-sell-sell sales methods simply do not work on social media. The overarching problem is that everyone sees and uses social media from a different perspective. It’s important that we keep testing because what works today won’t work tomorrow, but what worked earlier may work again.
Lastly, I end my day by reading news articles to stay up to date on the latest social media and online marketing news.
How does your advertising team interact with other teams at Trendin?
At Trendin we have an open floor office, which makes it easier to walk over to any team at any time. Being in digital marketing, I think it’s important that we collaborate with every team. For example:
- Merchandising. In order to streamline sales/offers it’s important for the marketing team to collaborate with the merchandising team. We try to align their brand KPI along with ours to achieve the overall company target.
- Creative. Each brand has their own brand guidelines which we need to follow. We have a great creative team that creates brilliant creative in a short period of time.
- BI. It’s much easier to double your business by doubling your conversion rate than by doubling your traffic, and our BI team helps us in understanding how to improve this. We want to know what consumers are looking for, what their values are, and how can we meet their needs.
- Content. Great content on the ad helps grab eyeballs, which builds relationships, which in turn drives revenue.
- Customer care. Around 90% of customers trust their peers on social media; only 10% trust brands. It’s important that we address their grievances in as little time as possible, so I make sure that the customer service team responds to the messages and the comments we receive on our official page.
What is your favorite Nanigans software feature?
Ad Builder, predictive optimization and the reporting tool are definitely my favorite. Creating ads has become so much easier and quicker now. The ad builder also helps in pushing ads across different channels.
It helps me deep dive and analyze the performance of each campaign at a creative or audience level, which helps me optimize ads better.
At Trendin we depend heavily on analytics, and the Nanigans reporting tool is just amazing. It helps me look at data on a granular level, which is not possible in Facebook ads manager reporting. It helps me deep dive and analyze the performance of each campaign at a creative or audience level, which helps me optimize ads better. It also allows me to create customized formulas to calculate unique business metrics if they’re not already available in the reporting metrics.
How can companies engage and develop in-house advertising talent like yours?
What attracts me to a company is the opportunity to learn and grow. The culture has to be open, flexible and supportive. The people have to be open to feedback, with a positive attitude. What I really like about Trendin is that I have the total freedom to create strategies and test what works and what doesn’t. There is a certain level of trust which automatically makes you responsible and drives you to achieve your target.
Demand for data-driven marketers is on the rise, but this guide offers concrete insight and practical tips on attracting and retaining the best advertising talent.
Download the eBook